Birdwatching in Dandeli
26th Jan – 28th Jan
9,500 INR per head
(Includes accomodation for 2 nights)
We start from Pune at around 2 a.m. We drive through the night and reach Dandeli early morning around 10 a.m. Check into our accomodation have lunch and take well deserved rest till afternoon.
In the evening we venture out into the Jungle for a birding trail. We hope to spot Crimson-backed Sunbird, Purple Sunbird, Loten’s Sunbird, Little Spider hunter, Jungle babblers, Orange headed thrush, Heart spotted woodpecker, White bellied woodpecker. We also hope to get the glimpse of the most elusive Malabar Trogan.
We will return back to our resort in the evening and have snacks. Share our jungle experiences and jungle stories over a cup of hot tea.
Have dinner at night and retire for bed.
Post lunch after having 1 hour of rest we take tea and we leave for evening birding trail cum Safari in Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary. We will try to spot some Gaur herds, Gaurs are state animals of Goa and are found in these forests. We will also try to spot Blue-eared Kingfisher, Brown-breasted Flycatcher, Malabar Whistling Thrush, Grey Junglefowl, Mountain Imperial Pigeon, Malabar Parakeet, Malabar Pied Hornbills, Malabar Barbet, Black-naped Monarch, Chestnut-headed Bee-eater and Dark-fronted Babbler. We will be back in resort at 6:30 PM
We will have chit chat around campfire followed by Dinner.
Wakeup call at 6 AM. Get up and get ready for birding in the Timber yard region which is very famour for Hornbills.
It is considered to be one of the best locations for birding in Dandeli. We will be looking for rare beauties like Grey-fronted Green Pigeon, Malabar Grey Hornbill, Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, White-rumped Shama, Asian Fairy Bluebird, Orange Minivet, White-bellied Blue Flycatcher, Black-throated Munia, Malabar Woodshrike, Black-hooded Oriole, Blyth’s Starling and so on. This trip will go past noon and we will be carrying breakfast with us.
We come back to resort for lunch, take rest of 1 hour and then get ready for our Gypsy safari in Dandeli national park. We will be focusing on getting some got shots of Elephants and Indian Gaurs.
We come back to resort at the time of dinner and retire for the day.
We will be doing a full bird Safari on a boat and This is a guided safari. In addition to the collared kingfisher, five other species of Kingfishers are seen here. You also see Greater Crested Terns, Gull Billed Terns, Peregrine Falcon, Eurasian Curlews, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Black-capped Kingfisher, Terek Sandpiper, Lesser Adjutant and several other species of waders.
We will be carrying our luggage with us and will be kept in our car. Post this we will have lunch and bid good bye to each other as you will be dropped back at Margao for return arrangements and local sightseeing.
- About Dandeli
- Package Inclusions
- Package Exclusions
- What can you expect?
- What the participants should carry.
Dandeli or Kali Tiger Reserve is a protected area and tiger reserve. It is located in Uttara Kannada district, in Karnataka, India. The park is a habitat of Bengal tigers, black panthers and Indian elephants, amongst other distinctive fauna.
Other large mammals here are Indian bison, sloth bear, Indian wild boar, bonnet macaque, northern plains gray langur, gray slender loris, several deer including: barking deer (muntjac), mouse deer(chevrotain), sambar deer and spotted deer (chital or axis deer).
Wild dog, jackal, jungle cat, leopard cat, small Indian civet, Indian gray mongoose, flying squirrel, porcupine, Malabar civet, Indian giant squirrel and pangolin also make their home in the forests here.
The best of Dandeli is however the birds found in this foresst. A short walk along any part of the forest will reveal a lot of forest birds which are rare in the western ghats.
We can see Speckled Piculet, Rufous, Heart-spotted, Brown-caped Pigmy, White-bellied, Lesser Yellownape, Greater and Common Flameback woodpeckers all within few hours of birding. This is the best place in the world for Malabar Pied and Malabar Grey hornbills.
- Accommodation for 4 days in Goa
- All transfers to and from Margao station
- Breakfast Lunch and Dinner for all the days while on tour
- All park entry fees
- Guide charges
- Camera charges if applicable.
- Guidance during the photography sessions
- Travel cost from your starting place till Delhi and back.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, water bottles, cold drinks etc.
- Gratuity/tips to guides/drivers.
- Any item not mentioned in the inclusions.
Please Note: Consuming and carrying alcoholic beverages on any of our tours is strictly prohibited.
- Knowledge of the flora and fauna of the forest.
- Approaching wildlife in the field.
- Identification of different mammals and birds
- Pugmark study and bird calls study.
- Exposure control while taking photographs.
- Framing and composition
- Living close to nature Amazing memories Desire to explore other places
- Please Note: During camp strictly follow the instructions of the camp leader,guide and the organizing staff.
- Clothing related items:-Light colored clothes (preferably t-shirts, pants, track suits, salwar kameez etc),cap, scarf, handkerchiefs, socks, towel, bedhsheet.
- Medical related items:- Band-Aid strips, washing and bathing soap, personal medicines prescribed by doctors.
- Personal Hygiene:-Toothbrush, toothpaste, toiletories, hair cream, comb, napkins.
- Others:-Torch (with extra pair of batteries), water bottle, sun glasses, camera.